ESTABLISHED 2010 - Beyond The Campfire was created to encourage readers to explore the great outdoors and to observe it close up. Get out and take a hike, go fishing or canoeing, or simply stretch out on a blanket under a summer sky...and take your camera along. We'll talk about combining outdoor activities with photography. We'll look at everything from improving your understanding of the basics of photography to more advanced techniques including things like how to see photographically and capturing the light. We'll explore the night sky, location shoots, using off camera speedlights along with nature and landscape. Grab your camera...strap on your hiking boots...and join me. I think you will enjoy the adventure.

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Beyond The Campfire Bushcraft - Building a Campfire Chair

 Even from an early age I've possessed a fascination with things rustic. Way back when I was in grammar school I read a true story about a man sometime in the late 1800's, who spent an extended time alone in the wilderness taking with him absolutely nothing...no clothes, no tools, no blankets, nothing. He made a bet with a friend saying he could survive for several months (I don't remember the exact length of time) with nothing. His friend thought he was crazy but went along with the bet and dropped him off on the edge of the deep woods. All he wore that day was a bathrobe which he promptly tossed back to his friend and trotted off into the woods. The story chronicled how he survived...which he did...and he met his friend at the same drop off point on the designated day months later, strong, healthy, and ready to collect on his bet. That story altered the course of a young boy's life, where the natural world suddenly became something big, exciting, and wonderful, a place to explore and to find adventure, and over the years I've spent countless hours canoeing, fishing, hiking, camping, exploring the wonders of the natural world,...all be it, fully clothed I might add.

In recent months I've embarked on several photographic projects, the most current being Adventure Photography - The Art of Being There, where I explored the natural world near my home and captured it on video and photographs.  It's still an ongoing project and you can watch the video's on this blog, however I've kicked off a new project where I use in the field skills to create and use rustic things from the natural world...Bushcraft, it's called...and I have a lot of ideas and excitement about this project. Although photography will be a part of this adventure, it is more about being there to enjoy what nature has to offer. 

The first project is making a Campfire Chair using a few simple and basic tools. It was a fun project. So please enjoy this video of the process I used to create this unique and useful campfire chair.



No comments:

Post a Comment