ESTABLISHED 2010 - Beyond The Campfire was created to encourage readers to explore the great outdoors and to observe it close up. Get out and take a hike, go fishing or canoeing, or simply stretch out on a blanket under a summer sky...and take your camera along. We'll talk about combining outdoor activities with photography. We'll look at everything from improving your understanding of the basics of photography to more advanced techniques including things like how to see photographically and capturing the light. We'll explore the night sky, location shoots, using off camera speedlights along with nature and landscape. Grab your camera...strap on your hiking boots...and join me. I think you will enjoy the adventure.

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

A Backpack, a Canoe, and a Jeep - On the Edge of Adventure


The sickening crack happened so fast I had no time to react. The sequence of events that followed became one of those memorable and quite frankly, potentially serious, backcountry drama's I've often read about, but never dreamed would happen to me...but it did.

I found myself at the bottom of a steep, snow covered ledge, groaning as I thought I had broken my ankle by the tumbling slide and sudden jolting stop at the bottom. A moment before I had been safely standing on the edge of ridge that extended across the steep terrain for a good ways through the steep wilderness country contemplating whether I should just backtrack and follow my steps through the snow back to the trail. I was good mile or more off the trail inside the Rawah Wilderness in northern Colorado, hoping to find a shortcut to a series of mountain lakes I wanted to hike into and spend a day or two fishing. That shortcut proved itself unfollowable. I was just about ready to turn around when, CRACK!  In an instant I was at the bottom of the ridge. Apparently, I was standing on a root or stick or something buried in the snow and the combined weight of me and the backpack proved to much for it and it gave way causing me to fall to the bottom. I landed on one foot and the pressure jolted my ankle so much, I really thought I had broken it. If so, I was in serious trouble.

As it turned out, I only sprained it. It hurt something fierce, but I had another potentially bigger problem. There was no way to climb back to the top of that ridge. Even after checking my inadequate topo map, I realized the ridge extended way to far and too deep into the wilderness to follow it until I might find a way back to the top. Doing so would only put me into deeper trouble.

I did try to climb back up, but there was no way as too much snow and ice covered the ridge face and it was too high and too steep. With my mind racing and my ankle hurting I began to recognize early elements of panic setting in, so I simply sat down and fix something to eat with a hot drink. My backpack weighed in somewhere around 35 pounds or so and I knew I had plenty of gear; sleeping bag, tent, food, enough to survive for several days if I needed to. The problem was, how do I get out of this situation. Before taking off helter skelter, I finished my warm meal and hot drink which served to calm me down and I began to think through the problem. Looking at the topo map I realized if I moved down the slope I would eventually, probably, cross the hiking trail. I wasn't sure where I was, actually I was sort of lost and I wasn't sure how far down it was to the trail or even if I would cross it, but I couldn't stay where I was and the day was coming to an end in a few hours.

I hobbled to my feet gingerly testing my now swollen ankle. It hurt but I could walk, so I made my way down the slope hoping I wasn't digging myself deeper into trouble. After what seemed like a very long ways, there it was...the trail. Instantly, I felt a great deal of relief and managed to hobble the several miles back to my old truck before dark.

That is only one in a series of outdoor adventures my backpack, my canoe, and my Jeep (along with other vehicles) and I managed to experience over the years. Certainly, it was one of the more adventurous of adventures, and yes, I did eventually make it up to the mountain lakes about a month or so later.

Over the years I've approached my outdoor adventures from a minimalist perspective keeping my gear and effort to the basics for the most part. It's helped me to refine skills and build self reliance and confidence. Those three elements, backpack, canoe, and Jeep, have become the symbols really of my attempts at adventure. Without them, there would be few if any stories I can tell and retell about those days. 


My canoe(s) has/have provided a means to explore areas of adventure I could never have attempted without them. I've witness amazing sunsets, incredible sunrises, been caught out in storms, pelted by sleet and snow, blown off the water, and caught the reflections of a starry night on the mirrored surface of a lake. I have run rapids I thought too big to take in an open canoe, and watched Bald Eagles soar across the heights of breathless ridges. I've experienced perfect weather, high winds, freezing rain and sleet, and rising waters all on one five day trip. Most of those things one tries to avoid, but I've grown to look forward to them as they provide the avenues along the edge of adventure where the most memorable rewards are discovered.

One of the most enjoyable kinds of moments is when I am able to paddle my canoe early of morning after a night or two camping, across a calm lake with fog drifting across the surface. There is a magical feel to those times,  only discovered while slowly and silently making way through the fog while paddling a canoe. Not enough of those moments over the years, but when they do occur, I lock them into the memory banks of my heart to be recalled when I need them most.

My Jeep has discovered over 300,000 miles and is, after some improvements, still discovering. It may very well out live me. With it, I've been transported through snow packed roads, up washed out backroads, across hundreds of miles of open country, and witnessed amazing adventures through its ability. It has served me well and has developed a personality all its own. It needs a new paint job, but the way it looks actually adds character to its charms. The driver's seat has patches applied, but that simply shows just how much it has been used. The old canoe rack on top, scarred with a few rusty spots, has transported not only my canoe, but other friends kayaks and canoes, lumber, odds and ends, and even an old couch. 

I find myself drawn to the edges of the outdoors along with the challenges and rewards offered there. Being fully retired now, I for the most part have the time to seek out such adventures in spite of limited resources. It's the memories I cherish most of all. Being able to share them with others, well that's what this channel is all about, Beyond the Campfire. Yet, it's mostly for me so I can relive the memories and document some of the defining moments of my life hopefully for family and friends someday when my days are over. I keep much of it locked inside my heart but choose to leave some of it behind through the adventures found with a backpack, canoe, and a Jeep.

Those three elements have provided a great deal of practical applications, but most of all, they have been a part of, and contributed to, amazing memories discovered on the Edge of Adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment