ESTABLISHED 2010 - Beyond The Campfire was created to encourage readers to explore the great outdoors and to observe it close up. Get out and take a hike, go fishing or canoeing, or simply stretch out on a blanket under a summer sky...and take your camera along. We'll talk about combining outdoor activities with photography. We'll look at everything from improving your understanding of the basics of photography to more advanced techniques including things like how to see photographically and capturing the light. We'll explore the night sky, location shoots, using off camera speedlights along with nature and landscape. Grab your camera...strap on your hiking boots...and join me. I think you will enjoy the adventure.

Thursday, January 12, 2023

The Rainy Day Woods

All the leaves, long ago fallen, were now dampeded and softened by the rain. This made the walking much more silent as I slowly made my way into the little patch of woods behind where I live. Dark gray skies hovered overhead releasing in spurts their residue of moisture sometimes in a vigorous manner, other times just a trickle. At the moment the rain fell somewhere between the two extremes. I could hear the drops as they filtered through the trees some splashing across the back and hood of my dark gray rain jacket, most reaching the ground to be absorbed by what had already fallen. Thus began my walk through the rainy day woods.

I hoped the deer I had been following the past couple of months might be feeding in the cornfield stubble again. I had noticed on other rainy days some of the deer would make an earlier arrival into the fields. As I slowly moved through the woods, I kept one eye open for any signs of the deer and one eye open for whatever might catch my photographic attention. 

All through the woods cedar trees are scattered here and there, some small ones only a foot or so tall and others big and brawny reaching well into the canopy overhead. My eye almost always is vectored to those cedar trees as drops of rain filter through their aromatic green coverings to dance like small crystals attached to the ends. I stop a few times to capture a quick photo of this marvelous rainy display.

As I approached the end of the woods, I normally slow down so as not to spook any deer that might be feeding in the fields. I didn't see anything as I approached so I carelessly stepped into the open. In an instant, I saw five or six flashes of white dash across the center of the field as a small group of deer detected my clumsy entrance and lifted their tails high as a warning flash to other deer. Into the far woods they trotted. I retreated back into the woods to leave them alone.


On the way back I simply enjoyed the sights and sounds of the rainy day woods. A picture here, then another one there, slowed my progress and I noticed the rain had now stopped. I was about 2/3rds of the way back to the entrance of the woods, when I noticed what appeared to be a deer standing in the field. A quick view through my telephoto lense confirmed it was. I carefully move closer to the edge of the woods keeping some cover between me and the deer. By the time I reached the edge, five or six more deer appeared near the other one. 

They made their way into what I call the center field, a smaller field that connects with the main one creating a sort of T. The small saplings I stood behind provided some effective profile absorbing natural cover. The deer moved somewhat closer and afforded an opportunity to capture a few environmental wildlife photos. Before they caught wind of me and spooked again, I backed away deeper into the woods and left them alone for a second time.


A simple walk through a rainy day woods can offer a wonderful reprieve from your daily routine. Everytime I do so, I discover something new, something refreshing, and leave inside the woods a small part of myself, but more importantly, I take a small part of what a rainy day woods has to offer with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment