ESTABLISHED 2010 - Beyond The Campfire was created to encourage readers to explore the great outdoors and to observe it close up. Get out and take a hike, go fishing or canoeing, or simply stretch out on a blanket under a summer sky...and take your camera along. We'll talk about combining outdoor activities with photography. We'll look at everything from improving your understanding of the basics of photography to more advanced techniques including things like how to see photographically and capturing the light. We'll explore the night sky, location shoots, using off camera speedlights along with nature and landscape. Grab your camera...strap on your hiking boots...and join me. I think you will enjoy the adventure.

Monday, January 2, 2023

Behind The Scenes: How the Photo Was Made

For the new year 2023, a new Behind the Scenes series will be included for Beyond the Campfire called How the Photo Was Made. We'll mostly look at what it took to capture a particular photo, things like the concept idea, the set up, the physical and technical difficulties, and other pertinent revelations that apply to any particular photo. The story of how a photo was made is sometimes filled with drama, circumstance, knowledge, skill, and plain ole luck. Not all photos just happen. Sometimes it takes planning and perseverance to capture the natural world, and we will explore the making of a few photos that have a story behind them that led to the capture.

The first photo is one I captured late on New Years Day 2023. All through the fall and into the winter of 2022 I followed a herd of deer that ranged in the woods and fields behind where I live. Upwards to 30 deer in multiple groups I've seen scattered across the corn and soybean fields. They have been fun to watch and to photograph, however it's not as easy as it might seem. To capture an image of a wild whitetail deer like this one of the young buck requires an element of stealth, camouflage, persistence, observation, following the weather and wind direction, and overall planning the shoot. 

Whitetail deer are one of the most wary of natures wildlife. They have good to excellent eyesight and hearing, but most of all their keen sense of smell is what they rely on more than anything to avoid danger. Having been hunted for hundreds of years, these guys have developed an instinct for survival second to no other critter in the wild. Human smell causes them a great deal of stress and caution, and will almost always result in a flight out of harm's way. So, getting close requires all the same elements a skillful hunter would use.

The photo above didn't just happen. He did not simply walk out in front of me and I took his portrait. In fact, I almost never saw the guy not to mention capture his photo. The week before Christmas 2022, the weather took a deep dive into frigid territory with temperatures dropping to below zero-f. Snow followed the cold and covered the ground with an icy mix. I wanted to capture some photos of the deer in the snow so I braved the cold and managed to get a few images none of which were all that good. In the process I began to recognize a pattern of one group of deer. Eight to ten, along with a couple of young bucks would, about an hour and half before sundown, leave the woods at the east end of the corn field near a pond and venture into the field to feed. 

For several days, as the snow melted, I set up in my usual location at the west end of the cornfield, about 250 yards or so from that pond. It was a good location as it afforded me a commanding view of both the corn and soybean fields and I was able to capture some decent environmental images of the deer from long range.

 Several times, the sun would set behind me and cast a wonderful warm glow across the fields. I began to realize I was missing a great opportunity to capture some backlight images of these deer. Doing so required that I set up near that pond. Doing that created a myriad of potential problems.

In order to get the photos I wanted would mean I would literally be located in the midst of that same group as they meandered into the field if they followed the same pattern. The conditions would have to be almost perfect, especially the wind. If it were moving in the wrong direction, they would pick up my scent and be gone. If it was cloudy, there would be no warm light. If I were not completely camouflaged, I risked they would catch my movement and be gone. Everything had to fall into place. 

Jan 1, 2023...New Years Day...the conditions were close to being right. The wind was out of the south by southwest, a gentle breeze really, but enough to cause some concern by its direction. By mid-afternoon the sky was clearing and there would be some warm light late in the day. I packed my gear and headed out.

Next to the pond a cluster of cedar trees offered a dark background to setup against. I prefer setting up with a dark background behind me as it offers a better blending of camouflage. In front of me a few yards stood some tall little bluestem grasses which provided another layer of cover. I nestled close to the cedar trees and broke out the camouflaged burlap and extended it across in a slight arch connecting the center of it to my camera tripod and using two stout sticks to prop up each end. It made an effective, quick and easy, hide/blind to sit behind.

I was fully camouflaged top to bottom, with a facemask and wearing a 3-D leafy top cover to break up my profile. The camera lense was even camouflaged. I felt confident as long as the deer entered the field from my left as had been their pattern. If they did, then the wind would be in my favor. If not, odds fell off for a successful photoshoot. 

About twenty minutes passed and the woods around me settled down. Lots of birds were feeding in the field and I made a couple of photos. I noticed some movement to my right. In the woods a young doe was inching toward the field. I froze and knew she would pick up my scent any moment. Behind her another doe, a bigger one followed. They both entered the field. The young one seemed calm, however the momma doe was alerted. She had indeed picked up my scent but could not see me. The breeze was shifting at once from my left, then from behind, then from my front. This must have confused them. The momma doe pranced around and moved toward me coming to within maybe ten yards. I dared not move or try to take a photo. Eventually, she calmed down and moved a bit further into the field.

I was able to snap a few photos of them. After maybe ten minutes, she took a hard look toward the woods to my right. That is a sure sign something caught her attention. Several more deer were moving toward the field. My position was not good as they would come very close to me and the breeze would drift my scent directly into them. It was a worse case scenario for they did, and it did. One of the older does stepped out of the woods almost next to me, maybe five yards away. The human scent even with no breeze emits an aura that radiates out in a cone shape gradually dissipating with distance. That older doe picked up my scent and stopped instantly looking in my direction. I froze. In a few seconds, she turned and ran back into the woods followed by the others. The first two stayed in the field but were alerted.

I figured my shoot was over, but decided to stay until sundown to see if they might come back. As the sun inched toward the tree lined horizon, I heard movement behind me along with a snort or two. I simply waited. Another snort, then silence. The sun was very low by now but still a ways from setting. Then I saw movement to my left. They had indeed returned about 40 yards away. I watched them move into the field, snapped a few photos. The light was pretty good, but not great as my angle was off. 

They kept looking in my direction sensing something wasn't quite right. As they moved across the field in front of me maybe fifty yards out they sort of split up. There were five of them with the last one being a young fork horn buck I had seen before. Two moved off the left, two scurried across the field and the little buck drifted closer to the treeline to my right. He was bathed in beautiful soft warm light. 

Usually I just start shooting and forget to think about the exposure. On this occasion, I thought first, and purposely underexposed the image to generate a more dramatic look to the image, allowing the soft highlights to dominate the exposure. He stopped, turned his head to look behind him and I snapped two images...one of them...the image we are reviewing.

I managed a few more photos. What I hoped for did not materialize, but I did manage to capture a few nice backlit shots. When you plan your shoot you must learn to adapt to changing situations...then capture what nature gives you. 

Eventually, all the deer moved off and I was able to breath again. 

Every photo has a story tied to it. This one evolved into a memorable photo moment...a good moment to start a new year and new season of photography. Hope to see you out there Beyond the Campfire.




No comments:

Post a Comment