ESTABLISHED 2010 - Beyond The Campfire was created to encourage readers to explore the great outdoors and to observe it close up. Get out and take a hike, go fishing or canoeing, or simply stretch out on a blanket under a summer sky...and take your camera along. We'll talk about combining outdoor activities with photography. We'll look at everything from improving your understanding of the basics of photography to more advanced techniques including things like how to see photographically and capturing the light. We'll explore the night sky, location shoots, using off camera speedlights along with nature and landscape. Grab your camera...strap on your hiking boots...and join me. I think you will enjoy the adventure.

Thursday, May 26, 2022

Kentucky Skies: Adapting to Changing Situations

Sometimes, possibly most times, as a photographer I struggle to make sense of the natural world and capture it in such a way as to make a photographic statement. I'm not always successful, in fact I fail more times than I succeed. But, I keep trying, keep looking and searching for those moments that stand apart from the ordinary. Fortunately, Kentucky is filled with wonderful photographic opportunities. One of the most consistent is the Kentucky Sky.


Sunsets have been photographed so often and by so many good photographers, capturing something truly unique is, well...not easy. It takes more than just a nice sunset. It requires being present during a set of conditions that slowly builds second by second until just the right moment when it reaches a peak. It also takes patience from the photographer to know when to release the shutter.

Over the years I have visited many sunsets, but only a few stand apart, in different ways, yet they retain one thing in common: I recognized an opportunity might develop, and I sought out the moment. As I think through the process of how these photo's were captured, I realize just how important it was to keep my photographic radar operating and to be willing to adapt to the changing situations. I also know you do not have to capture a scene exactly the way you see it. You capture the emotion of the moment, the way you feel it. You visualize the potential and use all the tools available to create a finished product. That includes exposure compensation, filters, lens selection, timing, and post processing technique.

I love photographing sunsets and sunrises although I rarely pursue it on a consistent basis. I just get a feeling sometimes that a nice sunset will appear and that is usually based on how the cloud cover progresses through the day. The best times are when the sky begins to break up just before sundown which often leads to dramatic reflections of light illuminating the underside of the clouds. I'd guess maybe one in ten times will the conditions produce something that causes you to stand in awe of the moment, but that is a price I am willing to pay to witness such a wonderful display.

Sunset photos do very well when the composition is simplified. Late summer when the air is thick with humidity can turn the sun into a giant orange ball. Throw in a simple foreground and the results can be magical. I will often simply drive around my local area looking for potential places where a sunset photo might play out with the proper conditions. I make mental notes of these places and when the whim and conditions hit me just right, I don't waste time looking for a spot, I know exactly where I need to be and make sure I am there well ahead of time.

I can't tell you how many times I've done that, only to have the conditions fizzle at the last minute. But, that's okay, because the only way to truly capture a unique sunset is to be there, and that sometimes means it doesn't happen. I always learn from those moments, things like reading the clouds, watching the weather report, listening to my instincts, all of these come into play, and that also includes dumb luck sometimes.

As attractive as they are, sunsets do not always need to be big and bold. Color is always an option and sometimes the conditions produce contrasting or opposing colors. These can be some of the most dramatic and mesmerizing images, especially when formed within a simplistic framework. 

Sunsets can be overlooked by photographers as something that is mostly overdone, however, I still find them amazing and fun to capture. Summer can produce some of the best conditions, but you must think through the process and adapt to the changing conditions, especially as part of Kentucky Skies.




No comments:

Post a Comment