ESTABLISHED 2010 - Beyond The Campfire was created to encourage readers to explore the great outdoors and to observe it close up. Get out and take a hike, go fishing or canoeing, or simply stretch out on a blanket under a summer sky...and take your camera along. We'll talk about combining outdoor activities with photography. We'll look at everything from improving your understanding of the basics of photography to more advanced techniques including things like how to see photographically and capturing the light. We'll explore the night sky, location shoots, using off camera speedlights along with nature and landscape. Grab your camera...strap on your hiking boots...and join me. I think you will enjoy the adventure.

Sunday, April 28, 2024

First Canoe Outing of the 2024 Season - Back to Back Days on Barren River Lake (Day 1)

 The weather for 2024 here in Kentucky has been an up and down experience. I've been chomping at the bit to load up my canoe and head out for a first outing, but the wind this season has been rather troublesome causing me to delay that first outing. This past week the wind moderated enough to allow me to give it a try. As it turned out, what was forecast fell a bit short of what was experienced.

Five to ten wind speeds was what the weatherman said. Low enough to be manageable but could still present a few issues, but none so big as to cause another postponement, so I loaded up the canoe and headed over to Barren River Lake. My launching off spot was 'The Narrows' and I headed north up the lake planning on doing maybe eight or maybe ten miles or so. At first the winds were light, but as the day progressed, the wind kicked up well beyond what was forecast. By the time the winds became bothersome, I was well into my trip and managed to cover some distance beyond what I had managed in previous trips. By the time I reached the Beaver Creek camping area, I planned on paddling a bit further up the lake, but at that point the lake narrowed significantly enough to compress the wind squeezing it between the heights on either side creating a wind tunnel effect and I could make no further headway.

Murphy's Canoeing Law suggests that no matter what direction you are paddling, the wind is almost certain to be in your face. Most of the way back I struggled against those headwinds but managed to complete the circuit covering almost 11 miles...not bad for a first outing. Needless to say, I was pretty worn out.

The next day proved itself a far better day as the winds lay down to become light and variable and I managed to make a leisurely 5 mile float through a part of the lake I had never paddled before where magnificent bluffs, calm waters, high wispy clouds created an Ansel Adams kind of day. The story of day two will be posted soon...but for now, please enjoy this video about my first day out canoeing in 2024.


Coming soon after the Day 2 post, I will be making another overnighter, then shortly after that, I'll be doing what is possibly the most ambitious flat water canoe trip I've ever attempted. That trip will be a three day, end to end paddle of the lake covering close to 40 miles with the second day covering almost 20 miles. Just need the weather to cooperate, but I am up to the challenge and looking forward to the attempt, so stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment