ESTABLISHED 2010 - Beyond The Campfire was created to encourage readers to explore the great outdoors and to observe it close up. Get out and take a hike, go fishing or canoeing, or simply stretch out on a blanket under a summer sky...and take your camera along. We'll talk about combining outdoor activities with photography. We'll look at everything from improving your understanding of the basics of photography to more advanced techniques including things like how to see photographically and capturing the light. We'll explore the night sky, location shoots, using off camera speedlights along with nature and landscape. Grab your camera...strap on your hiking boots...and join me. I think you will enjoy the adventure.

Thursday, January 31, 2019

A Look Beyond - Discover Those Reserved Moments

There is dwelling through the night a canopy arching overhead filled with the wonders of creation. As beautiful as what we can observe using just our marvelous eyes, it is but a fraction of what harbors there, just out of sight. Those few thousand stars visible to us each night are but a tantalizing hint of what awaits those who chose to look beyond.


For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated with the night sky. As a photographer I am constantly seeking new and exciting ways of expression. Capturing the night sky is but one of those ways, but it serves to fill the void of wanting to know more about what is there. Every photograph reveals a new moment in time and becomes a reward unto itself.

Genesis explains in simple form how God created the Heavens and the Earth in six days. For some reason he chose to obscure much of what lies just outside our field of view only giving us just enough to rekindle within us a desire to find out more. It was a brilliant way to motivate and stimulate our minds so we would grow and seek out more about his creation. Sort of a teaching tool I suppose, and an effective one. 


When I step outside and observe the heavens I am doing more than simply looking or taking pictures. I am exercising the inquisitive instinct he placed within all of us. I know more lies just beyond what I can see and capturing those images becomes a means to discovery and revelation. God gave all of us different gifts. There are the biblical gifts like mercy or teaching or even prophesy, but he also gave us earthly talents and he expects us to develop and explore both the biblical gifts and our earthly talents. I suppose too that is why he chose to only reveal a small portion of his creation to allow us to discover for ourselves the wonder of what he made, for in his creation he reveals himself to us. It just seems so obvious really when you think about it. The complexity of creation simply could not have just happened from a random event out of nothing.


When I look beyond what is visible, I feel blessed to have been given the opportunity to observe and experience a part of creation that was reserved just for me for that moment of discovery. When I think about it, every photograph of creation is exactly that; a reserved moment of creation. I only wish I could do justice to what is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment