ESTABLISHED 2010 - Beyond The Campfire was created to encourage readers to explore the great outdoors and to observe it close up. Get out and take a hike, go fishing or canoeing, or simply stretch out on a blanket under a summer sky...and take your camera along. We'll talk about combining outdoor activities with photography. We'll look at everything from improving your understanding of the basics of photography to more advanced techniques including things like how to see photographically and capturing the light. We'll explore the night sky, location shoots, using off camera speedlights along with nature and landscape. Grab your camera...strap on your hiking boots...and join me. I think you will enjoy the adventure.

Friday, January 4, 2019

The Planning of a Photographic Adventure - What Goes Into It

Even though I have slowed down considerably as I plunge feet first into my late 60's, the adventurous boy who ran rough and tumble in his youth still stirs inside. He is lying somewhat dormant and restless, but waiting for an opportunity to rise up again. Luckily for me, I've learned to temper those youthful desires to stay reasonably within the physical capabilities of my more advanced age. Ever so often, those youthful desires surface rather abruptly and threaten to overwhelm my more practical and educated physical capabilities with adventurous ideas. When they do, well...I actually enjoy the thought of once again torturing...or rather challenging myself to jump headlong into a grand adventure.


In my youth I did a lot of headlong plunging without very much planning or thinking. The results were adventurous to say the least, but more often disastrous. But, I learned a great deal of how not to do certain kinds of things and I learned that a little bit of planning goes a very long way to if not prevent disastrous results, to at least temper the results toward a more successful undertaking.

Heading out to undertake a Photographic Adventure can seem like an exciting idea, but experience has taught me to real in expectations to at least take a pre-look at what I want to accomplish and then weed out the chaff to the point the actual adventure becomes practical. So, this is where I am currently, planning a photographic adventure more extensive than any I have ever attempted; a five day onsite solo adventure to photograph and video my favorite place; Oklahoma's Tallgrass Prairie. The idea is to create a video production about photographing and exploring this amazing landscape and will require attempting to capture the images in ways I've never tried before.


I would not ordinarily attempt such a thing except I am rather familiar with the location and because of that I feel confident I can plan around it accordingly. I'll be heading over that way the first week of May. A good time for it will be warm but the oppressive Oklahoma summer heat will not have arrived yet, plus the prairie will be green but not yet grown up to its full summer heights, and the Bison calves will have been born in March or April and will start to become lively and playful by that time.

Not only will I be shooting photographs, I will be shooting video footage. This requires some careful thought about what I really need for I will be carrying most of this gear with me so it needs to be practical, useful, and as easily carried as I can make it. I do have a rather large camera bag, but it is too small for all of my gear, so I have to pack only what I will use for that particular photo shoot. Sometimes I will be shooting relatively close to the road, other times I will have to hike in possibly up to a mile or so.

The video footage will be the most challenging. What I must avoid are static videos where there is no or very little movement involved. Might as well take pictures. So between now and then I will be practicing shooting video and adding movement to the action. To do this I will use a DIY Jib, a devise that allows you to swing and rise the camera from ground level to about seven feet high and keep the camera on an even plane. It also serves to smooth out the panning of wide area shots.

To capture enough video footage to make a video production requires a series of planned shots. To do this I will use a shot-list outlining the kinds of video footage I want to capture. Most of the footage will be relatively short clips 10 to 20 seconds in length that will be stitched together along with still photographs and audio to create the finished production. Many of the clips will simply be transitional footage that takes the viewer from one situation into another.


In addition to this I will be story boarding the program just so I will have a good idea of the kinds and number of video clips and still images I want to capture. (Several Dozens will be required). This story board is simply a guide and not so much a locked down this is what I must do script. Too many things can interfere with planned shooting, so I'll remain flexible and adjust as the conditions dictate. The story board will give me a good place to start and a basic photographic footage direction to take.

I know the kinds of photographs I want to capture, the problem will be the weather. Will it cooperate or cause havoc? From my experience, the weather rarely does exactly what you want it to do, you just have hope for the best and adapt to what nature gives you. I figure over the course of five days, I will at least have one or possibly two days of the kind of weather I want. The rest I'll just have to work in as best as I can.

As with all landscape photography the best light generally occurs early or late, but I will be able to shoot all day long because many of the video clips will be close ups of the various fauna and plants found on the preserve. This will prevent me from becoming bored and complacent during the middle of the day waiting for those elusive great lighting moments that may or may not occur. I figure I will have plenty of shooting to keep me busy all day long and still have some grand opportunities to capture those amazing moments of light early and late in the day.

Time lapse photography can create amazing video moments provided you have the correct situation to shoot and that requires the movement of clouds. I plan on capturing ample time lapse footage both during the day and of the night sky if the conditions allow for it.


Some of the anticipated problems hopefully will not become show stoppers. The weather of course will be the biggest factor.  In fact it may be the main problem factor or it could be the main reason the results turn out fantastic. Only time will tell.

Planning a Photographic Adventure is a daunting challenge. What do I need, where do I stay, what if this or that happens, how do I do certain things, and can I do certain things all become valid questions that must be answered or dealt with when on location. Heading out on such an adventure without some kind of a plan can cause you to miss opportunities. Knowing the basics of what you want to accomplish provides you with a script of how to proceed, but being flexible and adapting to changing conditions is also important. Most importantly, having a personal vision of what you want to accomplish becomes the driving force behind the success or failure of the project. Preparation, Planning, Adaptation, and Execution are all important elements to employ when wanting to create a high quality production. The planning and preparation process can become part of the most enjoyable portion of the adventure, but a photographic adventure is exactly what it means...an adventure fraught with challenges and frustrations tempered by exciting revelations and success.

No comments:

Post a Comment