ESTABLISHED 2010 - Beyond The Campfire was created to encourage readers to explore the great outdoors and to observe it close up. Get out and take a hike, go fishing or canoeing, or simply stretch out on a blanket under a summer sky...and take your camera along. We'll talk about combining outdoor activities with photography. We'll look at everything from improving your understanding of the basics of photography to more advanced techniques including things like how to see photographically and capturing the light. We'll explore the night sky, location shoots, using off camera speedlights along with nature and landscape. Grab your camera...strap on your hiking boots...and join me. I think you will enjoy the adventure.

Thursday, December 22, 2022

Photographing Sandhill Cranes: The Challenges and Rewards - Part 2

 The alarm set for 2:00 AM went off right on que and by 2:30 or so, I was on the road heading up to Seymour, Indiana, about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive. Over the past 10 years or so, I had made a good number of trips up there during the winter months and had always found good numbers of Sandhill Cranes in the Ewing area upwards to 30,000 or more of them. I had similar visions as the road miles rolled under my Jeep. What transpired completely caught me off guard.

My intent was to hopefully capture one of those early morning rises of Sandhills coming off their roost. A couple years previous I had stumbled into such a rising and caught it on video which was made rather spur of the moment so suffered somewhat in quality.

I arrived well ahead of first light and got my camera gear ready for the anticipated moment. This location had always produced amazing numbers of Sandhills and was a logical choice to set up. The horizon grew brighter...and brighter...and my anticipation grew accordingly. By the time of full sunup, which was mostly hidden behind early morning clouds, I felt a deep disappointment for there were absolutely no Sandhills to be seen. Zero, zilch, nothing.

I was utterly amazed at the situation. Reports I read and social media reports indicated the Sandhills were there in abundant numbers. But there were none. I waited around for a time hoping a few might meander through, but it was absolutely devoid of these amazing birds. What to do?

Clearly my plans had been weighlaid, and I had no clue as to where I could find some of the birds, having always found them in this one area. There were none even flying off in the distance so I began driving around and saw nothing at first. As I was heading back toward Seymour I noticed a good number of Sandhills flying way off, so I turned down a side road and followed my instincts, turning here and there down this road and then another, getting completely turned around. But, I did find a location where there were several thousand Sandhills feeding in the surrounding corn and soybean fields. A few here, some there, to eventually finding a corner field a good number of them were using. So it was here my shoot finally began.

It was not a good location for shooting as the corner of the field was bracketed by a busy intersection where a lot of traffic crisscrossed. Trucks, cars, SUV's, and other types interfered with my attempts at videoing these amazing birds. 

Eventually, in frustration, I drove a ways down the road to another place where I still had sight of the birds, but the traffic was less congested.

While there two different fellows stopped by for a chat. One of them was a farmer who owned the field spread out in front of us where the Sandhills were now congregating. He indicated that up until the day before there had been huge numbers of them in the area, but many of them had left and speculated they were sensing the coming storm and frigid weather due to arrive in a few days. 

Adapting to the situation is often the plight of the wildlife photographer. On this day, I had made plans based on previous experiences in that area. As it turned out, the Sandhills made other plans. But, I was able to gather some good footage and a few photographs by adjusting to the situation. I spent most of the rest of the day there, but the Sandhills in small groups would get up and fly off and through slow attrition, by close to sundown, there were very few birds left.


 I was hoping for at least a few of them to fly into the setting sun, but they were intent on going someplace else. The ancient migration of Sandhills is a natural phenomena worth following and photographing. As with all wildlife, they have their own agenda and sometimes they do not cooperate.  Learning to adapt to their whims can help you avoid a busted outing. 

They present challenges that often are difficult to overcome, but the rewards for persevering through the difficult attempts far outweigh the challenges. On this trip, I learned a valuable lesson about not counting on wildlife to do what you expect them to do, but to adjust your plans to what they actually will do. Turned out to be a good day and well worth the challenges they presented.





No comments:

Post a Comment