ESTABLISHED 2010 - Beyond The Campfire was created to encourage readers to explore the great outdoors and to observe it close up. Get out and take a hike, go fishing or canoeing, or simply stretch out on a blanket under a summer sky...and take your camera along. We'll talk about combining outdoor activities with photography. We'll look at everything from improving your understanding of the basics of photography to more advanced techniques including things like how to see photographically and capturing the light. We'll explore the night sky, location shoots, using off camera speedlights along with nature and landscape. Grab your camera...strap on your hiking boots...and join me. I think you will enjoy the adventure.

Friday, October 18, 2024

When Patience Pays Off: Photographing a Trophy Kentucky Deer

 Photographing wildlife can often be a most difficult objective for a photographer. Doing so successfully requires a persistent degree of patience. 

Kentucky whitetail deer are some of the most illusive and cunning of wildlife. With a keen sense of hearing, sharp as hawks eyesight, and an uncanny sense of smell, they are well equipped to detect intruders into their domain. One whiff of a human, and they are gone before you ever see them. A careless movement can catch their attention in a flash. One misstep, a crackle of dry leaves for example, can alert them to your presence. They rarely hesitate if any sign of danger is present and will bolt in a moment when their concern of safety overrides their better part of valor. So, getting into position to photograph truly wild whitetail deer is a daunting task even for a seasoned hunter...or photographer. Doing so for either requires a solid working knowledge of their habits and their habitat.

For many years I hunted those magnificent animals. Those years were some of the most rewarding and satisfying of adventures I've managed to pursue and they generated some of the most enduring memories. In more recent times, I've altered my approach and today I hunt mostly with the camera. But the skills gained as a hunter translate well into pursuing wildlife with a camera. In some ways, hunting with a camera is more difficult because to capture those truly amazing images, one must get reasonably close to your subject or recognize the beauty of an environmental portrait taken from some distance. Accomplishing either requires one to develop a keen sense of patience and the willingness to try again and again...and again. Doing so will over time result in success.

This past week saw the promise of a new season dawning upon the landscape, a season jump started by chilly temperatures and blustery winds. When the cornfields turn brown and the woodland trees begin to find their new adornment of color, the moment signals it's time to search for those amazing whitetail deer.  A few exploratory hikes around the cornfields and into the nearby woods revealed several scrapes and rubs...large rubs...in the area; a good indication the deer are approaching their rutting season, and at least one trophy sized deer was frequenting the area. I've seen several good ones the past few years, a few of which certainly must have matured into amazing adult animals. 

For several days I sat inside a patch of woods just behind a pond that anchors the upper end of one of the cornfields. Conditions were rough with stiff breezes whipping my scent all through the woods causing the doe deer to become quite jumpy. 

The first three afternoons I managed to see a few does, take a few so-so photos, but no bucks, but I did know they were around because of the abundance of sign scattered throughout the woods. 

The standing corn crop was finally harvested mid-week so I gave the deer a break for a day, but headed out the next afternoon. By this time, the movement habits of the deer using that patch of woods became more evident and I positioned myself in a location where I had a commanding view of a wide, mostly clear path that circumnavigated this few acres of woods. The wind was light and in my favor this time coming from the north east, just about perfect for this location. Fully camouflaged and with my 50-500mm lens attached to my camera secured to a tripod, I sat in a strategic spot demanding a good view of the open lane. I leaned up against a tree and made myself comfortable and waited.  Waiting is most difficult, and the anticipation associated with waiting can often be overwhelming. That is when other values come into play, when simply being in the woods is reward enough. Even so, your senses tune into every sound, every movement, even a single leaf floating down catches your eye. A distant squirrel shakes his tail and your eye instantly locks on. A woodpecker hammers an old dead but still standing tree. Sights. Sounds. Movements. All play out their roll across the woods.

Movement is what you look for, what you tune your eye to seek out. Even the faintest of motions causes your eyes to shift. Movement is also what you avoid doing for even the slightest of motions can catch the eye of a deer you may not know is there. I purposely turn my head with a slow arch, shifting my eyes, left and right, keep my hand movements to a minimum, and sit behind my tripod and camera which helps to break up my profile.

Not much happened for the first hour and half; a couple of squirrels, a few noisy birds, and not much else stirred. About 3:30 or so, I caught sight of some movement deep into the thick woods. Just a flash here and there, no details, could not make out what it was...then I saw the white flash from a deer's hind quarters as the deer passed across a narrow gap in the trees as the deer meandered through the woods. I suspected it would cross the cleared pathway in a few moments and indeed it did. When it first poked its head out from the tangled woodlands about forty yards from where I sat, my heart skipped a beat, or two, as this was no ordinary deer or one of the many does in the area. This guy was a trophy buck with a large set of antlers spreading high and wide. He was beautiful!

For the next five minutes I could not remember taking a breath. He moved so quickly, and stealthily, I failed to capture a photograph as he crossed the path. A few moments later, he reappeared and I managed a few quick shots before he again entered the thick woods. I could see him crossing through the clutter of trees then lost sight of him. A few moments later, there he was again reentering the open path and angled across again a bit further down. I managed a couple more rapid fire shots. The lighting was difficult as a bright sun cast hotspots all across the open pathway making the exposure setting difficult. Normally I shoot in manual mode and use auto focus, but the lighting was so contrasty it was difficult to obtain a good exposure. I quickly shifted into Aperture Priority, bumped my ISO up to 1600, and pushed the exposure compensation to a + 1/3 stop to allow for the dark areas without overexposing the brighter areas. I also switched to manual focus as there was just enough junk between me and the deer to confuse the autofocus. I had to work quickly relying on years of experience with that camera and lens to instinctively make the correct settings.

My trophy buck disappeared again, but within a few minutes reappeared, only this time he was moving toward me. Unknown to me at the moment, several does had also come on the scene and he locked on to them moving with a determined drive toward where they were, sniffing and licking the air. From this behavior, I'm sure he was close to being in full rut as were the does.

Over the next few minutes I watched as best as I could the seven or eight does meander through the woods and into the field followed closely by my trophy. Problem was, by then I was out of position and I had to shoot photos through the trees. 



After they meandered out into the field, I slowly stood and tried to move as quietly as I could to better position myself...then...buck number two showed up. At first I thought it was the same one, could have been, but i never saw him circle around and reenter the woods. This new buck's rack was also tall and wide, but consisted of thinner tines, and he was also thinner. The first buck's neck was already starting to swell because of the surge of testosterone starting to build within his system. This second deer was indeed thinner, but I was not able to obtain a good photo of him, just a single shot through a tangle of trees. He was also much more leary as he locked onto some of my movement and darted off, followed by several of the does.

I waited for a short time before deciding to backtrack and circle around the outer edge of the woods and exit the area hoping not to spook the deer. On my way out, I knew within my camera resided some good photos of a magnificent deer. Someday soon, I'd try again, but for now I'd give them time to re-settle down into their undisturbed routine.

Photographing a trophy whitetail deer requires patience, skill, and a good degree of luck. On this day, all three fell into place and I managed to witness one of nature's enduring sagas. Seeing a trophy buck in the wild is a rare event, and trophy bucks grow to that size for a reason; they are smart and stay out of trouble. Being there with a camera close enough to take his portrait is truly a magical time, a reward when patience paid off.





No comments:

Post a Comment