ESTABLISHED 2010 - Beyond The Campfire was created to encourage readers to explore the great outdoors and to observe it close up. Get out and take a hike, go fishing or canoeing, or simply stretch out on a blanket under a summer sky...and take your camera along. We'll talk about combining outdoor activities with photography. We'll look at everything from improving your understanding of the basics of photography to more advanced techniques including things like how to see photographically and capturing the light. We'll explore the night sky, location shoots, using off camera speedlights along with nature and landscape. Grab your camera...strap on your hiking boots...and join me. I think you will enjoy the adventure.

Friday, October 13, 2023

Exploring 'The Narrows' October 2023

 When I awoke from a surprisingly sound sleep that brisk Tuesday morning, the sky was already starting to grow brighter. The sun was still a good 30 minutes or so from rising, but the air was filled with the song of numerous birds. I rolled onto my right side and with one eye barely open I peeked from under the edge of the protective tarp hanging over me to view the lake. It took a couple of blinks before my eyes would focus. What came into view was a dull gray draped over the landscaped. I blinked again and stared into the gray void a second time. Fog…and lots of it drifted across the surface of the lake. I rolled onto my back trying to decide if I wanted to get up or sleep a few more minutes, but the photographer’s instinct in me won out and I unzipped the sleeping bag and stepped into the quite brisk, and unseasonably chilly morning.

Early October in Kentucky can often be some of the most pleasant of seasons. Fall teases the landscape with a touch of color and cooler temperatures, you know, not quite fully fall, but not ready to let go of summer just yet. I was on an overnight canoe trip once again on Kentucky’s Barren River Lake and exploring the area north of what is known as ‘The Narrows’. In previous weeks I had made a couple of day trips into this location and discovered a very nice and somewhat secluded camping spot. The canoe trip into this new camping area required a leisurely and unhurried paddle. It turned out to once again be a marvelous overnight adventure.

Please enjoy this newest of BTC videos:



No comments:

Post a Comment