ESTABLISHED 2010 - Beyond The Campfire was created to encourage readers to explore the great outdoors and to observe it close up. Get out and take a hike, go fishing or canoeing, or simply stretch out on a blanket under a summer sky...and take your camera along. We'll talk about combining outdoor activities with photography. We'll look at everything from improving your understanding of the basics of photography to more advanced techniques including things like how to see photographically and capturing the light. We'll explore the night sky, location shoots, using off camera speedlights along with nature and landscape. Grab your camera...strap on your hiking boots...and join me. I think you will enjoy the adventure.

Friday, October 20, 2023

The Campfire - Overnight Backpacking into Mammoth Cave NP

Cool air and overcast skies along with a backpack that felt much heavier than it might otherwise be greeted me as I began the methodical pacing of steps toward my favorite camping area inside the backcountry of Mammoth Cave National Park. Not even the weight of the pack and weakness in my troublesome hip could deter the sense of anticipation that welled up inside of me as I again worked my way toward "The Bluffs" area.

More an outing to just get away for a short overnighter than anything else, as always I toted along some basic camera gear for I anticipated some very nice photo opportunities with the changing fall season. Camera gear always adds extra weight...camera/lens, small tripod, extra batteries...in and of themselves are inconsequential when compared to the overall weight of the backpack. However, every ounce matters and just how quickly those ounces multiply into pounds became apparent once again just a short distance into the hike.

The hike in was not all that bad, with the last half mile or so evolving into a steep downward climb requiring steadfastness of footing and balance to prevent any trip ending slips and falls. The hike out is always more of a challenge as steepness now works against you presenting a zigzag upward climb. About every six or eight steps I'd have to stop to allow my hip and legs and heart and lungs to recover enough to allow the next six or eight upward climbing steps. 

I did manage a few photos and video clips which were incorporated into this short video. I always enjoy working around a campfire especially in the evening right at dusk when the air temperature drops and the woods become still. Please enjoy..."The Campfire".



No comments:

Post a Comment