ESTABLISHED 2010 - Beyond The Campfire was created to encourage readers to explore the great outdoors and to observe it close up. Get out and take a hike, go fishing or canoeing, or simply stretch out on a blanket under a summer sky...and take your camera along. We'll talk about combining outdoor activities with photography. We'll look at everything from improving your understanding of the basics of photography to more advanced techniques including things like how to see photographically and capturing the light. We'll explore the night sky, location shoots, using off camera speedlights along with nature and landscape. Grab your camera...strap on your hiking boots...and join me. I think you will enjoy the adventure.

Sunday, November 5, 2023

Backpacking Mammoth Cave NP - A Chilly Fall Overnight Hike

 Fall in Kentucky seems to hover in time until all at once, it descends upon the landscape in one sudden rush. That held true this season in 2023. Along with the color change came a change in weather with temperatures dropping to near winter-like levels...at least for the better part of the last few days of October and into the first few days of November. 


I've been wanting to make a cold weather backpacking trip and the conditions were just right for doing so. I headed off once again into the backcountry of Mammoth Cave National Park for a relatively simple overnight outing. My destination was once again "The Bluffs" area...my favorite location in the park.

I made a concerted effort to reduce the weight of my backpack and managed to eliminate enough excess weight to drop it from around 35 pounds to 27 pounds. What a difference just those few pounds made. With a few more upgrades and refinements, I hope to drop even move to at least 25 pounds, but for now, I'll take the 27 over the 35 anyday.

Beautiful weather greeted me. Daytime highs were forecast for upper 40's with nigh time lows in the mid-20's. The sky was blue and the sun bright as I head off down the trail....

Please enjoy...this newest video on Backpacking Mammoth Cave N.P.




No comments:

Post a Comment