ESTABLISHED 2010 - Beyond The Campfire was created to encourage readers to explore the great outdoors and to observe it close up. Get out and take a hike, go fishing or canoeing, or simply stretch out on a blanket under a summer sky...and take your camera along. We'll talk about combining outdoor activities with photography. We'll look at everything from improving your understanding of the basics of photography to more advanced techniques including things like how to see photographically and capturing the light. We'll explore the night sky, location shoots, using off camera speedlights along with nature and landscape. Grab your camera...strap on your hiking boots...and join me. I think you will enjoy the adventure.

Sunday, November 26, 2023

The Older Outdoor Photographer- Staying Motivated

 I've remained relatively active for most of my life. Oh, there were times I slacked off more than I should have, but I still kept on moving at least to some degree. Now that I'm climbing toward turning 72, in many ways, I am stronger and fitter than I've ever been...well...sort of. The biggest difference at my age is my recuperative powers are slower and I have a few more aches and pains I did not have when I was younger. It just takes longer for my body to recover and I get stiffer in the process. But, as the old cliche says, 'Pain is weakness leaving the body...' Not sure I totally agree with that, but there is at least some truth in those words. I suppose the most difficult part of being an outdoor photographer and staying in shape is to stay motivated to get out, and that largely depends on physical conditioning.

Dewitt Jones, a former National Geographic photographer, emphasized the importance of being willing to place yourself at the point of greatest potential. That often means you must recognize the potential of a location based on time of year, time of day, and most importantly, the potential quality of the light. Getting into position to capture the best light often requires some physical exertion. 

When I started 'Beyond The Campfire', it's intent was to combine outdoor activities with photography. Over the years as the site has matured, I realize more clearly now just how important  Dewitt's words are. The problem is, as you grow older, physical demands grow larger and more difficult to maintain. Because of that, it is important to sustain a level of physical activity over a long period of time. That alone requires an elevated degree of motivation. So, allow me to review what I do to remain as fit as my body will allow, and to share a few motivational tips with you.

First of all, Know your limitations: At 60, 70, or even 80, you are not going to keep up with younger people. It's a simple fact of life. The trick is to proceed at your own pace. Slow down and enjoy the moment, and do not push yourself to exhaustion. Most importantly, what goes without really saying it, consult your doctor before heading out into the wilds and make sure there are no underlying issues that might cause problems.

Gym or home based workouts? The gym provides a good number of benefits and equipment to help you improve your overall fitness level. Having a gym membership often provides a degree of motivation as well, as you will often make new friends of like mind and age, and can also learn from them various techniques and skills to build strength and endurance. A membership can be costly though, so to avoid such costs you might consider to do your own workout in your garage or in your home. I used a gym for a good number of years and gained a lot of benefits from doing so, however in more recent times I've switch to a home based workout routine. I call it my 'Car Battery' workout. I keep it simple by doing pushups and using an old car battery as a type of dumbbell. It weighs about 35 to 40 lbs and I do arm curls, bent over rows, and squats with it. It works my biceps, triceps, back and shoulders, and legs including the glutes. Pushups are a good all around strength builder hitting your back and shoulders, chest, arms, and even your legs to some degree. My routine consists of cranking out 100 pushups done in 5 sets of 20 reps, plus 3 to 4 sets of 10 to 12 reps with the car battery working arm curls, bent over rows and squats three days a week. Simple and effective. In the near future I will be making a YouTube video on my 'Car Battery' workout routine.

I also spend time punching on a Heavy Bag that is hanging up in my garage. It is a great upper body and aerobic workout and as an added bonus, provides a level of 'getting the aggravations out.' It does require some techniques that takes time to master, but I've found it to be a fun activity that breaks up the workout routine. 

Not everyone will be able to start the same way, so begin with what you are able to do and over time you will build strength and endurance. Start light at first with fewer reps and slowly build up. Simple push ups or modified push ups (bracing your knees on the ground) are a good starting place. If you can only do one or two sets of two or three reps, start there, then gradually increase the number of reps and sets as you get stronger.

Walk or Run? I used to run (and swim and bike) a lot, but can no longer do so. I do have a bothersome hip that slows me down, but I do walk quite a bit and the more I walk, the stronger the hip becomes. My intent over the next year is to average around 80 to 100 miles of walking per month or 1000 miles over the next year. I may not attain those numbers, but even if I only make half that much, that will be an accomplishment. I walk carrying a few extra pounds of weight in a small pack I sling over my shoulder so to stress myself a little more and I do include several long and in some cases shorter steeper hills. Walking builds leg strength and cardiovascular endurance and helps to keep the joints limber. Just starting out, walk a half mile or so and over time you will be able to build up endurance and strength to  easily walk several miles. The idea is not so much distance, but time and to keep moving.

Diet and Eating Habits: Losing weight: So much has been written about diets and there are so many diet videos and commercials floating around I get tire of seeing them. Frankly, I do not diet. Diets almost never work long term. What is more effective is a lifestyle change that includes a fitness routine and a moderation of the number of calories you intake. Losing weight is a matter of burning more calories than you consume. I eat pretty much what I want to eat. I just do it in moderation. I include green leafy veggies, some fruits, fish and chicken, some red meat and potatoes, along with a few deserts from time to time. The key is to limit refined sugar intake, and to lower the volume of food intake stopping when you feel full and not over stuffing yourself. Fasting also provides a lot of health benefits. Too complex of a concept to cover here, but investigate the benefits of fasting to determine how it might apply to your situation.

Supplements:  I also take a few supplements which includes Omega-3 fish oil, Turmeric, a Garlic capsule, Vitamin D and C, along with a daily vitamin. I'm sold on the Garlic capsule. Garlic I've learned, has natural antibacterial and antiviral properties. It strengthens your immune system and when combined with the other antioxidant properties of vitamin D and C, well lets just say I sailed through the Covid thing without any shots and never got sick. Have not been sick in over three years and the last time I suffered with anything it was a very mild sinus infection from which I recovered in a few days.

Summary: In the past few years I've been doing a lot more canoe camping and backpacking along with day trips employing both canoe and hiking. I almost always take along my camera gear which adds a few pounds of extra weight to the effort. Staying in shape both aerobically and in physical strength is important so I can more easily explore these rewarding avenues of outdoor photography. 

As important as being in shape is, the most important element as an older outdoor photographer is to remain motivated. A positive state of mind is vital to sustaining motivation beyond the occasional excursion into the outdoors. It is true; You are only as old as your mind says you are. My doctor recently told me after looking at my physical exam numbers, "These are excellent. I have patients in their 30's that do not have numbers as good as yours...I'm a doctor, and my numbers are not as good as yours." Those words alone are a strong motivation to stay with it.

Staying motivated is the key here. Success builds on itself and enhances your motivation to keep at it. Stay active. Develop a fitness routine but change it up ever so often. Make a fitness schedule and stay with it. Do what you can and are able to do at your own pace. The idea is to enjoy getting out and not struggle with the physical aspects of being an outdoor photographer. Stay with it...see ya out there...!

No comments:

Post a Comment