ESTABLISHED 2010 - Beyond The Campfire was created to encourage readers to explore the great outdoors and to observe it close up. Get out and take a hike, go fishing or canoeing, or simply stretch out on a blanket under a summer sky...and take your camera along. We'll talk about combining outdoor activities with photography. We'll look at everything from improving your understanding of the basics of photography to more advanced techniques including things like how to see photographically and capturing the light. We'll explore the night sky, location shoots, using off camera speedlights along with nature and landscape. Grab your camera...strap on your hiking boots...and join me. I think you will enjoy the adventure.

Saturday, November 11, 2023

Phabulous Phantom Flashback: A Different Kind of Photography

 Although I do a great deal of nature style of photography, I also take other styles of photographs which includes using speedlights or remotely fired flash units. A few years ago I managed to capture one of my favorite images employing the use of four speedlights, but in a unique way. 

Bowling Green's Aviation Heritage Park is a spectacular park featuring several vintage military airplanes all of which have a connection to Bowling Green. My favorite is the F4 Phantom which was flown by Brigadier General Dan Cherry over Vietnam. This aircraft has a unique history for the pilot as well as the Vietnamese pilot he encountered while on a mission over North Vietnam. The story is chronicled in the book My Enemy, My Friend by Dan Cherry.

I love the styling of this aircraft and wanted to capture it in a unique way not with a simple snap shot, but with a style and flare that accents the power and dynamic nature of this amazing historical aircraft. To accomplish this, I photographed it after dark using four speedlights and red gels. The idea was to illuminate the tarmac beneath the airplane and catch the reflections generated by the light bouncing off the ground. 

Phabulous Phantom is a powerful image of a classic aircraft and stands as one of my favorite images of all time. It took two separate images blended together to make this photo, the process of blending multiple zones of light is explained in the attached video I made a few years ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment